Thursday, October 26, 2006

Jam making's over-rated!!

Did you know how easy it is to make jam?? I just found out recently when I was making jam for the pineapple and strawberry tarts. I've always thought it was a very laborious process, but it is as simple as cutting the fruits finely, adding sugar and lemon juice and cooking for a while. Wham Bam...its done!
If you're planning on using it within the next month, you don't need all the extensive bottling tools.
Without even an iota of knowledge about jam making, I set out to make the fruit filling for the tarts. Lo and behold...I'd made Jam!! (As you can see, I'm pretty excited about this!)
















Mixed berry jam

Ingredients for Berry Jam

Strawberries - 1 box
Raspberries - ½ small box
Blue berries - ½ small box
Sugar - ¼ cup
Lemon Juice - 1-2 tsp (depending on the level of tartness you like!)

Method:

  • Cut all the berries and add the lemon juice to them.
  • Add sugar, and cook over medium heat till it reaches the jam consistency!
  • If using pineapples, you could grate the pineapples or use canned pineapples (in juice) and then pulse them in the food processor before bottling.
  • If you love the jelly-like consistency, just add 2 tsp of jello powder in the beginning.
  • Allow to cool and store in a airtight bottle in the refrigerator.
  • Its that simple!

5 Responses:

Shammi said...

Sounds lovely! :) I always thought jam-making too laborious a process but I can manage this level of skill!

PS. Doesnt the lemon juice give a bitter taste when cooked?

Smitha said...

Hey Shammi,
Thanks for your comments! The lemon juice is only to serve as a preservative (citric acid) and in some cases, prevent the fruits from browning. I just added one tsp of juice, so the sugar basically covers up any slight bitter taste from the cooking of lemon.

Anonymous said...

my momo makes jam in a elobrate process man!!!! will show her this!!! itz time to learn for her!

Anonymous said...

You are lucky. I tried making jams and failed twice. Haven't tried after that.

Smitha said...

Prasad...please! I'm just starting to cook. Orediya romba ask aunty to learn-nu sollathey![:P] Etho I experimented and it came out well. Avvalavu thaan! Neways say hi to aunty and amumma for me!

Gini,
Thanks a lot. Do try this and let me know if you like it!