Its been raining all day...thankfully its a sunday and THE perfect weather to sleep in. Here's a perfect snack to make the perfect sunday even better...
Perfect snack for a rainy Sunday afternoon - Red Onion, Bell pepper (Capsicum), Jalapeño pakoras with piping hot ginger tea! Yummmm
For the batter:
Besan or chikpea flour - 1 cup
Rice flour - ½ cup
Salt - 1½tsp
Chilli powder - ¾-1 tsp
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Asafoetida - a pinch
Baking soda - ¼ tsp
Ajwain seeds - ½ tsp (optional)
Coriander leaves - ¼ cup (finely chopped) (optional)
Enough water to make the batter a syrupy consistency.
For the filling: one or more of the following
Red onion (Cut in circles)
Hungarian banana peppers (make a slit and de-seed and de-vein after cooking in boiling water with salt for a minute) You could fill it with shredded mexican cheese for a 'stuffed jalapeños' taste.
Bell pepper (Cut in bite size squares)
Potatoes (sliced thin)
Raw Plantains (cut in half across and sliced thin)
You get the idea...
- Make the batter with all ingredients and let it sit for about 5-10 mts
- Get the filling ready in the meanwhile
- Dip the vegetables in the batter and fry in hot oil
- If batter is too thin (watery), dip the fried pakoras in the batter again and refry them.
- Enjoy with a good mint or chilli sauce with hot tea or coffee!