Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Guess what's cooking - Karela/Bittergourd chips

Inspired by mydhaba, I'm posting a couple of simple guess whats...
The first one might be relatively easy!



















Thanks to all for your interesting and some amusing guesses! Annu and Archana turned out to be right - I am frying bittergourd or karela for chips.

Back in our Trivandrum days, our neighbor aunty used to make awesome 'pavaikka' chips and would send some over every time she made it, cos she knew Naveen loved it! Till date, we always remember Prasanna aunty, everytime amma or I make these chips. Although I never liked bittergourd pitlai or any other bittergourd dish, this one was always an exception.
I remember the first time I mentioned pavakka chips to Kartik, he was quite eager to try out, and understandably he's been hooked to it ever since he took his first bite!

Since food in the past two weeks has been predominantly - Naveen's favorites, this HAD to be in the menu. Even if you don't like bittergourd, try it with the less intense variety(the chinese bittergourd) and I'll assure you, its a great way to get acquainted with a very interesting vegetable.

Ingredients

Bittergourd, salt, turmeric, red chili powder


















Method:

Marinate for 20-30 mts



















Deep fry in hot oil, until dark brown.

8 Responses:

FH said...

Frying onions!!:D

Anonymous said...

frying bitter gourd (karela).. i know it cos i know for whom it was made for ;-)

Mandira said...

jalebi or imrati?

archana said...

Bittergourd?

Nidhi said...

Jalebi...??

Anonymous said...

Let me try to gross out every one here.

They look like some kind of worms. Pardon my bad guessing skills :P

What is the answer ? I am curiousss very curiouss.

Cheers,
Mythili

Anonymous said...

Frying jalebi.

Radha

Unknown said...

Hi
Bittergourd is one veggie which calls for a delicate cooking so that it is bitterness is reduced to an extent. Thanks for this recipe and I would like to try such different recipes. Also chk out Chitvish's Bitter gourd pitlai
http://www.indusladies.com/forums/2829-post20.html